Thursday, April 30, 2009

Birds, Birds, Birds

We have this bird at our house that is insistent on having a nest right outside our front door. It's in a basket that is right at JJ's eye level. Ryan has thrown the nest out 3 times but the dumb bird just kept rebuilding it. Well, once there were eggs in it we couldn't throw it out again.
Last weekend we went out to check on the eggs and discovered this.
I felt like I had a little bit of a hand in these little (ugly) robin babies, after all, I did keep my own kids plus neighborhood kids from touching the eggs for 2 weeks. And I thought how neat it would be to watch these babies get bigger and fly away. The kids love to check on them everyday. This morning while Allison is having physical therapy at our house I ask her therapist, "Did you see our babies outside?" She says, "I saw the empty nest.....". Apparently some animal had himself a nice snack last night..............so sad.:( Good thing my kids are too young to know the life cycle of a bird, as far as they are concerned those babies learned to fly last night and they are happy and healthy.:)

1 comments:

Heidi said...

Yep, that happened to us last year. Stupid survival of the fittest!